he four founding organizations of the Medical Psychiatry Alliance are located in the Greater Toronto Area, representing one of the world’s leading health care and medical research clusters. Each institution brings expertise, resources and a network of relationships to the Alliance that will provide the platform for an unparalleled integrated approach to patient care, teaching and research.
This collective advantage lies at the heart of this opportunity.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- CAMH served more than 28,000 patients and saw approximately 500,000 outpatient visits last year
- CAMH scientists have made personalized medicine for psychiatric patients a reality, using a patient’s genetic make-up to predict which medications are safe and effective
- CAMH treats those along the continuum of care from early intervention to complex mental illnesses, starting in the early years right through late life
- Last year, 7,425 professionals participated in CAMH’s training sessions; 7,377 people attended public education events and 486 articles appeared in peer-reviewed journals
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
- SickKids delivered 102,037patient days in 2012-13 with total operating cases numbering 11,906
- The hospital has extensive expertise in the integration of research, education and clinical care through its centres for Bone Health, Brain & Mental Health, Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, Genetic Medicine, Healthy Active Kids, Heart, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Image Guided Care, Pain, Transplant & Regenerative Medicine, and Global Child Health
- Each year, about 2,000 children with the most complex care needs in the province will have an inpatient visit to SickKids and many more will visit one or more clinics at the hospital Last year, SickKids researchers were the first to apply whole genome sequencing to autism and provide a definitive look at the wide-ranging genetic variation associated with the syndrome.
Trillium Health Partners
- Trillium Health Partners is one of the largest community-based acute care facilities in Canada delivering highly specialized regional programs including: Cardiovascular, Maternal-Child, Oncology, Renal Dialysis, Clinical Genetics, Seniors’ Health, Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence and Stroke & Neurosciences
- Trillium Health Partners is a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and an associate member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network
- With more than 1.5 million patient visits, Trillium Health Partners is one of the largest community hospitals in the province
- A full 90 per cent of all mental health visits to Trillium Health Partners hospital sites are received through Emergency Department (ED). Since 2009, mental health ED visits grew by one-third.
- Emergency and Urgent Care program at Trillium Health Partners currently sees more than 250,00 patients a year
- Paediatric mental health ED visits have increased by almost 32 per cent in just three years.
- Trillium Health Partners is located within one of the most richly-diverse communities in the country with an escalating demand for specialized mental health care services – especially timely, expert treatment for patients in mental distress who arrive at our Emergency Department.
University of Toronto
- U of T’s Faculty of Medicine is first in Canada and consistently ranks in the Top 20 programs worldwide
- The Faculty of Medicine has more than 475 neuroscience and brain health researchers engaged in leading-edge work in areas such as early development and cognition, addiction and mental illness
- U of T features expertise in curriculum design, evaluation, and educational scholarship; an integrated allied health professional curriculum; and integrated faculty development
- Last year, University of Toronto trained more than 1,000 medical students and delivered postgraduate programs for all specialties, including 200 psychiatry residents